Monday, January 12, 2009

Bead Party

I happened to pick up the Seattle Times and found an article about an organization working in Uganda. I read through the article, and it was about an organization called Beads For Life. I went to their website and did some research and learned a little about what their mission was. Their goals really hit home, since I would soon be traveling to Uganda.

"BeadforLife eradicates extreme poverty by creating bridges of understanding between impoverished Africans and concerned world citizens. Ugandan women turn colorful recycled paper into beautiful beads, and people who care open their hearts, homes and communities to buy and sell the beads. The beads thus become income, food, medicine, school fees -- and hope. It is a small miracle that enriches us all. All profits from BeadforLife are invested in community development projects that generate income and help people work their way out of poverty."

I wanted to get involved and found out about holding a bead party. I held it last Sunday and invited some friends and family. I cooked food local to Uganda and Rwanda. I really wanted to open up people's eyes to what is important in my life. I was able to fund raise over $1,000 worth of handmade jewelry, which means that $752 are going back to Uganda thanks to all my wonderful friends and family!!

Here are some pictures from the party and of the organization.

Here is their website if you are interested in checking it out and learning more.

http://www.beadforlife.org/index.html



Love,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment